Meet David Lang, the composer behind Crowd Out. Lang has tackled the admirable challenge of writing music for 1000 untrained voices to be performed in our Summer Festival this year! Commissioned by us in partnership with Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and the Berliner Philharmoniker, you can be a part of Crowd Out this summer and add your voice to the music!
So let’s get to know David, the composer behind this impressive large-scale work.
- He first achieved international recognition when he received an award from the BMI Foundation’s Student Composer Awards in 1980
- In 1987, Lang co-founded Bang on a Can, a classical music organisation in New York who have premiered works by John Adams, Steve Reich and Ornette Coleman
- Lang was awarded the 2008 Pulitzer Prize in music for his piece the little match girl passion (which was performed by I Fagiolini in our Winter Festival 2012)
- He is currently a member of the Yale School of Music composition faculty
- And last year was named as Musical America’s Composer of the Year!
To get a feel of Lang’s minimalist music, listen to the finale of the little match girl passion, We Sit and Cry:
If you enjoy singing and want to get involved in Crowd Out, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
Saturday 21 June, 3.30pm & 6.00pm
Arnold Circus Bandstand